SemiProfessional

Young (Semi) Professional

I'm a promiscuous reader. I'll read anything.

Half Moon Hill: A Destiny Novel (Destiny, Ohio)
Toni Blake
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
Mary Roach
Hard As It Gets (Hard Ink, #1)
Laura Kaye

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, Book 1)

The Hunger Games - Suzanne  Collins I honestly feel like I don't need to go into what I loved about this book or what few things I found lacking. Honestly, I'm really glad to have finally dusted this off my TBR pile and still find myself wondering why on earth it had taken me so long to read it. For me, Peeta Mellark has that certain Jim Halpert (The Office) je ne sais quoi.

This book refreshingly tapped into my emotions. I couldn't help tearing up at certain scenes (You know the ones I'm talking about!) or sharing a sense of a dread, specifically as Katniss is emerging into the arena. A few readers have compared this to Battle Royale, a favorite book of mine with a similar plot. Both are enjoyable, but whereas Battle Royale jumps immediately into the action, The Hunger Games builds upon the main characters, their motivations, and the processes of the Games, giving you more of a connection, in my opinion.

I'd like to keep this review short in saying that I'd easily recommend it to just about anyone. You may find yourself put off by its intense popularity or the sudden flooding of the dystopian YA genre, but it really is worth the read. I definitely look forward to the development of its film adaptation as well.