SemiProfessional

Young (Semi) Professional

I'm a promiscuous reader. I'll read anything.

Half Moon Hill: A Destiny Novel (Destiny, Ohio)
Toni Blake
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers
Mary Roach
Hard As It Gets (Hard Ink, #1)
Laura Kaye

Battle Royale

Battle Royale - Koushun Takami, Yuji Oniki I don't quite recall how I stumbled across this book, but it was one of those things that you buy on a whim. Maybe the title intrigued me or the subliminal picture within the cover art was clever enough that I had to have it. Either way, this book is one I will never forget. I even make it a habit to read it every summer.

The premise is pretty straightforward. A class of forty students is sent to an island with the goal of becoming the last man standing. Literally. The students must kill their peers, whether they be friends or enemies, in order to make it out alive. Everyone has a backstory and there are multiple twists and turns thrown into the already frantic action. I don't recall being bored once. There's no lull in the storyline.

After reading this book, I quickly spread the word to my friends and even family members. My copy was passed around to probably twenty people and they all seemed to have enjoyed it as much as I have. While reading the book, questions begin to pop into your mind about the book's startling situation. Would you be the type of person who could handle becoming an enemy to your best friends? I do believe several of my friends and I exchanged apologies for the fact that if our own skin was on the line, then yes we could.

Never has literature been so action-packed for me. It's descriptive (sometimes in grotesquely explicit detail), fun, and thought-provoking.